Jan 29, 2010

Back in the studio....

So, it's been a while....since I've written as well as since I've painted anything. I've been so busy with new year cleaning and organizing projects that I just haven't had the time, or should I say haven't had the mood, to get back in the studio. But this week I am sick with a killer head cold and don't have the energy for housework, but I got the painting bug back.

This painting I simply title "Haiti". It was inspired by a photo I saw of a child whose parents were killed in the earthquake. It's not finished yet. I like to almost finish a painting and then put it away for a while to look at it with a fresh eye later. I already see things I'll change, ( I mean, that ear is just a mess!) but I am going to wait. I've been known to overwork a painting and waiting helps me not do that.


I'm thinking of taking a portrait painting workshop in April. It's a 2 day event with portrait artist extraordinaire Alain Picard. As much as I try to get excited about a still life or a landscape, it's portraits and figures that really get me inspired. Take a look at his work on his website. It' s just beautiful.
I am basically self taught. I don't have formal training in pastel painting.....or any kind of painting actually....so taking his workshop will really help me in learning technique. I can read lots of books and look at videos, but to have a live model and an instructor who does the type of work I would like to do...well that's an opportunity I don't want to pass up. So, I hope it's not full!



2 comments:

Diana said...

What a face! It brought tears to my eyes. You've done a fantastic job of capturing this little one's emotion.

Mlou said...

Thank's Diana!
So many horrible tragedies happening in the world today. Capturing this child's emotions is really capturing what I felt too.